There are very few people who know the advantages of teen drivers with car insurance. Very few people know the fact that premium can be increased from 100 to 355 percent if there is a teen driver in the family. There are several other ways to enjoy the benefit of getting low premiums for the teenagers. There are particular kinds of insurance companies which conduct online tutorials for the teen drivers. If they pass the tutorial, they will be getting some special type of discounts. We can take the company state farm here for instance, they offer a tutorial called steer clear, if the driver passes this tutorial they offer a tempting discount of about 15% to the first time drivers. There are several other insurance companies that can be found online, give the same kind of discounts to teens. There is this company by the name Esurance; it offers an advantageous pack of discounts. It gives discounts for a period of every 6 months for those who are privileged with a clean driving record. Keep this in mind, a clean driving record means absence of speeding tickets. A few insurance tips for teen drivers are as under .
1. Call different companies and compare different plans which cater to your needs
2. If a new driver is added to the policy, the insurance rates rise. It is always advisable to have a teen as the driver of one of the family cars.
3. The benefits derived from the student discounts must be used to full extent. Students of accredited colleges and universities get discount if their grade point average is equal to or higher than B.
4. Have a healthy discussion with your teen about the advantages of safe driving and several disadvantages of traffic rule violations, one of them being increase of rates.
5. If you tend to buy a spectacular brand new car for our teen, all you have to do is a simple research to check the models that come with best rates.
6. Usually there are three different ways used by many insurance companies, which are rating in terms of safety, liability and damage.
7. The damage theft index (DTI) which rates vehicles on cost of payment in the situations like damage and theft.
8. The vehicle safety discount (VSD) which offers 40% on lower rate paid in situations like injury to people inside the vehicle.
9. Most importantly Liability rate index (LRI) depends on the damage it is going to do to other vehicles and also its occupants.
You have to seriously think of getting a personal liability umbrella policy (PLIP), if there is a possibility of your teen driver involves in an accident and damages some property, you can be in serious trouble. Though you may have some underlying policies that provide some liability limits which are substantial it is common for the juries to give some damages that may exceed the limits which is the most undesired possibility.
There are several insurance companies that are willing to quote for you and your team. They will keep in mind factors like what are the deductibles you need, what is the type of car you drive, the areas you are in, the amount of time you spend on road, your age, tour sex and most important of all is your driving record. If you happen to life in a metropolitan area which have high amount of auto thefts, you will be paying more rates than those who live in suburbs where the auto thefts are comparatively low.
So here are some ways that allow you to save yourself and your teen when you are buying insurance
1. Many of the companies offer some discount for cars that have anti theft devices like alarms.
2. If you have ever been convicted or there is some violation of rules under your belt, all you need to do is to take some driver improvement courses to improve the chances of getting lower rates.
3. There is a chance of teens getting some discount if they attend some driving courses given by schools or some accredited agencies.
4. If you happen to have vehicles that have air bags, anti-lock brakes, head restraints, daytime headlights, you have a chance of getting some discount on your vehicle.
It is a well-known fact that car insurance can be very costly, but there is always a reduction if you really want.