In the event of an accident, it is necessary that you take certain steps to make your auto insurance claim in addition to the police report and the other driver or person to deal with.Filing auto insurance claim may seem to be a stressful task, but you can do it confidently if you follow the procedure correctly. Filing auto insurance claim involves simple steps so that by following them you can ensure a successful claim. Your success will depend on how quickly you make the claim, the correctness of the information received from the other driver, the accuracy of the police report and what you do and say at the accident spot. You should never admit your fault and it is enough to be honest at the same time not to talk about fault. You can leave it to your insurance company to determine the fault.
1. It is wise to carry your insurance card always for quick and easy access. You can find the details of your auto insurance coverage such as the type of your coverage, the duration, and your vehicle details like make, model and identification number, phone numbers like emergency and after hour phone numbers. Make a call to your auto insurance agent at the earliest to inform the company of the accident.
2. You must report the incident to the police and insist on a police report irrespective of the extent of damage. A copy of the police report and the proof of insurance issued by the insurer are to be submitted along with your claim. Make sure to ask for a copy of the drivers’ information exchange form.
3. Some documentation is required to support your claim. You will need to note down the full name and address of the other driver, his insurance information and the details of witnesses to submit along with your claim. Noting the visibility level and weather will also be help.
4. If you get a call from the other driver’s insurance company, note down the name of the representative who spoke with you.
5. After getting the claim form from your insurance company, fill out the claim form and attach all the supporting documents. Call your insurer if you have any difficulty in filling the forms.
6. Your insurance company will investigate the case according to the information you provided and based on the documents you submitted along with your claim. They will follow their own procedure and determine the compensation depending on the auto insurance cover you have. Co-operate with your insurer in the investigation. If you receive any legal papers send copies to your insurer and keep the originals.
7. Before you start any repairs make sure that your insurance company agrees to pay. Keep the records of the expenses you incur as they will be reimbursed under your auto insurance policy. Get the itemized details of repair from the repair shop with the shop’s name and address. Discuss the procedures to be followed in case of supplemental damage which the repair shop discovers which did not figure in the original estimate. You can choose the repair shop for fixing your car according to your policy.
8. Usually a no-fault insurance pays for medical expenses, lost wages and so on. Take time to properly review the settlement offer or have an attorney to check it. You will then determine if the offer is fair or not. Your attorney and you can decide if you should consider the option of a lawsuit.
9. Your insurance company will resolve any claim brought against you or defend you if you face a lawsuit in accordance with the terms and conditions stipulated in your auto insurance policy.
You can ensure the success of your claim by following the above tips that aim to help you in the most stressful situation at the accident scene.