Most of the states have made it mandatory for all drivers to have auto insurance to protect against any loss or damage in the event of an accident. Motorists are generally classified high risk when their driving record shows too many traffic violations, accidents and offenses. Auto insurance is also necessary to obtain liability coverage for vehicle owners. There are many different categories of coverage one of which is auto insurance high risk that is offered to drivers and vehicles that are considered high risk and naturally carry higher premiums.
Definition of High Risk Auto Insurance
Most insurance companies define the following motorists as high risk that requires high risk auto insurance.
1. Teen age male drivers are considered the most irresponsible of drivers and require more auto insurance
2. Persons having three or more traffic violation tickets, convictions or guilty pleas are also categorized as high risk
3. Drivers having single conviction for hit and run driving and reckless driving within the past 12 months
High Risk is Also Determined Based on a Few other Factors like:
1. Motorists with DWI or DUI record are the most probable candidates for high risk auto insurance
2. Carrying invalid auto insurance that is not current or with gaps in coverage
3. Men are viewed as higher risk than female drivers
4. Young drivers below 25 years of age and their claims history
5. First time drivers irrespective of their age
6. Those driving in urban areas than the drivers driving in rural areas
7. Driving record with involvement in a number of accidents, traffic violations, convictions for drunken driving and more. Insurance high risk is usually determined by taking into account al types of collision.
8. Too many speeding tickets that indicate more chances of accidents
9. Not having proof of previous insurance in spite of being on the road
10. Having a poor credit history as these drivers tend to file more claims and insurance companies place them under the high risk category
11. Driving sporty and flashy cars
How to Reduce High Risk Auto Insurance Premiums
High risk auto insurance means high premium rates. However there are ways to obtain insurance coverage without paying outrageously high premiums when placed under the high risk category. The motorist should shop around to find multiple auto insurance quotes. Some non-standard insurance companies specialize in providing coverage to high risk drivers by creating programs beneficial for them such as taking driving classes, good student etc. offering discounts based on these criteria.
You can clean up your high risk auto insurance history and save lot of money by taking a few positive steps. First, correct your driving habits, and secondly pay off all fines and parking ticket dues.