Commercial auto insurance provides the vehicle owner protection for bodily injury as well as property damage caused by all vehicles both owned by companies and also non-owned vehicles used in the business forming part of the business activities. The commercial vehicle insurance coverage often includes personal injury protection, automobile liability, physical damage and uninsured motorists' coverage. Many insurance companies do not disclose the hidden components. If you are a business owner and your business involves use of vehicles, it is beneficial to know that commercial vehicle insurance provides cover on all vehicles used in the day-to-day activities of any business.
Definition of commercial vehicle
A commercial vehicle is the vehicle that is not used for personal purpose and earns profit for its owner. They include personal cars used for business activities, SUVs, light duty or medium duty vans, different types of trucks and other commercial fleets.
Why is commercial vehicle insurance important?
In case of an accident involving a commercial vehicle the insurance company will pay for the damages and loss incurred on various types of claims up to the limit of the insurance policy amount. In the case of the business owner having a number of vehicles to carry out his business, obtaining a fleet insurance will be a good idea.
How to Save on Commercial Auto Insurance
- Maintaining good driving record of all those who drive commercial vehicles results in lower rates of insurance as drivers with good driving records are considered as low risk.
- Comparing insurance rates of different companies at the time of renewing.
- Periodical maintenance of all the vehicles.
- Increasing the deductibles can reduce the premium.
- Taking a long term policy will lower the premium.
- If no claims were filed claims in the past, the vehicle owner can claim ‘no-claims’ bonus.
- Covering a number of vehicles in a single policy.
- Drivers’ participation in defensive driving programs will also mean that prevention of accidents and qualifies for special discount
Insurance companies have different approaches to commercial vehicle insurance coverage. Many companies offer coverage to specific types of vehicles only. The premium is calculated according to various factors such as the make and value of the vehicle, location, the time of commencement of the policy etc. An experienced and expert agent can advise you to obtain the right kind of coverage with the right insurance company for you to save money. You can benefit if you do your homework by doing comparative shopping and online research.
All said it is in your own interest to protect your business by making sure to carry the right amount of commercial vehicle insurance protection.
Commercial auto insurance can cost you thousands of dollars. So, you can use these effective tips to save money: