Adding your teenager to your auto insurance is extremely important to avoid the risk of having an uninsured driver in the family. Do not assume that your policy will include the newly licensed driver automatically. Adding a teenager on your policy will definitely increase your premiums up to a100% or more. The average cost of car insurance for a teenager is always high and you will still save by adding a teenager to your car insurance policy. But the cost of not insuring your teenager can cost you a fortune as drivers below the age of 25 are found to pose the greatest risk to insurers due to their high level of accidents they cause. Call your auto insurance carrier and find out how adding your teenager affects your policy and the premium. Some insurers automatically add a newly licensed driver to your policy and others may require you individually to add each person. The regulations vary from state to state, so you must be sure to go through your policy carefully to verify the status. You should first notify your insurance company about your intention to add your teenager to your auto insurance policy. Check your policy guidelines for the procedures regarding the process.
When you add the teenager to your auto insurance policy there are a few things you can do to save money on your premiums.
1. Increase your deductible so that the premium will be lesser than before. Let the teenager know that now accidents will cost much more.
2. Get the teenager to take the defensive driving course
3. Add other policies like home insurance and combine them to be with the same insurance provider
4. Avail good student discount for students
5. Let the teenagers drive a safe such as old car to get lower insurance rate
6. By maintaining a clean driving record you can instill the importance of safe drive in your teenagers
7. Shop around to find the best deal for the appropriate auto insurance